Friday, December 16, 2005

Disgusting water

I kind of got side-tracked with Lego and genocide when I was writing this post. You'll see what I mean when I get to the end of the post. What's that, reader? Oh, you said "That's pretty crappy composition there, Nathan". I thought you said "You look pretty tired. Maybe you should eat some mini-pancakes and then go to bed".

Anyway, today I was doing some bona-fide work, doing salvage at a house that suffered a fire. One thing I had to do was to empty a fridge in a kitchen where the power had been cut off for three weeks. There were the ubiquitous forgotten mushrooms and chunky milk and so forth, but strangely horrifying was the water and damp cardboard. It's odd how water can be disgusting. I'm not even talking about the kind of water that tells you your peppers are gone, or that Jehusa Bin-Yusef has died. I'm talking about genuine haitch two oh from the ice that had melted. This is the same water that babbles in mountain brooks, except that it was, uh, melted ice inside a freezer. There's nothing disgusting about water.

Thinking about it, that ice must have ultimately come from water vapour in the air, I suppose. And a kitchen might be particularly humid due to cooking, and maybe washing machines- then there's sweat that evaporates on your skin, and the moisture in exhaled air.

And then it froze, and melted, pooled up in the freezer, and then ran down my arm.

Actually, maybe water is pretty gross.

Falling through the floor with the friend I had before

P.S.
In tracking down that scripture, I was reminded of why the bible always makes me see what Swift was on about with that whole Yahoo thing. What do I mean? Well, here's a painting of the hero Samson. What's that he's holding? Was Samson a gentleman zoologist? He certainly looks like one there.
Umm.... no.